Bateman Lumber was started by Ed Bateman in 1946 operating originally as Central American Hardwoods in Philadelphia. Ed worked out of Daniel Buck Lumber’s yard on Aramingo Avenue, which was run by his father George Bateman Sr.. Ed was joined by his brothers George, Jack and Howard during the 1960’s selling primarily hardwoods, Philippine mahogany, cedar, pine, doug fir and redwood to retail lumber yards. In 1974 a second yard was purchased in Bucks County, Pa to service North Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania. In 1989, Bateman Bros. Lumber purchased E.D. Collier & Son and moved across the river into Woodbury, NJ. During the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s the four brothers were joined by their sons Mike, Kevin, Bob, George, Howard and Dan.
Bateman Bros. Lumber Co., Inc. was built on the premise of working for it’s customers while supporting the families it employs. Each brother procured products that fit their specific customers’ needs. This attitude continues today along with the understanding that our suppliers are as important to us as our customers.